Fast Transition: A pathway to net zero carbon emissions in North America@weight>
Download our updated executive summary@weight>
Download our Executive Summary
Fill out the form below to download the executive summary of Fast Transition.
Greenhouse gas emissions in the US power sector declined 33% between 2005 and 2019.
Much deeper reductions are required: IHS Markit's 2021 Fast Transition case demonstrates a pathway to net zero economy by 2050 by:
- The near total power sector decarbonization by 2040, with residual carbon emissions fully offset
- Broad electrification of surface transportation and heating loads, leading to a 63% increase in on-grid demand
- A fifteenfold growth in wind and solar capacity from today
- Installation of 175 GW of batteries with 10 hours of storage
- Using flexible demands responsive to when the grid is most stressed - including electrolyzers for hydrogen production
These 5 steps helped to achieve 50% decarbonization economywide by 2035 - and carbon neutrality by 2050.
Fill out the form on this page to download our executive summary of Fast Transition updated for 2021 to learn more.