World Soda Ash 2016
Commercial Impacts of Soda Ash Technologies
Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Registration: 8:00 am – 8:30 am (with Continental Breakfast)
Workshop: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Reception: 5:30 pm
The IHS Chemical Soda Ash workshop is the only workshop offering a broad understanding of soda ash technologies and their commercial impact on the global soda ash industry.
The course will include reviews of technologies, product quality, sources of competitive advantage and discussion of global and regional technological trends and discontinuities that are impacting trade and profitability.
Two NEW Enhancements! This year we have added an interactive class exercise using the IHS global soda ash cost curve. This powerful tool can help you analyze and formulate strategies, competitive positions, prices and target markets. Participants will have the opportunities to:
- Explore the impact of input costs (raw materials, utilities including energy, and logistics) on competitive position.
- Model positioning trends over time as relative costs shift, and new capacity enters the market.
A new and expanded section will be presented on trends in China’s nitrogenous fertilizer industry. Such trends bear heavily on the value of ammonium chloride and consequently the economics and viability of Hou process soda ash in the domestic and export markets.
The five main sections of this Workshop are:
- Market Environment - Demand and segmentation, supply, trade
- Process Technologies - Solvay, Hou, trona, and other (e.g., alkaline brines)
- Competitiveness - Cash costs, global cost curves, regional competitiveness, energy cost effects, benefits of integration and coproducts
- Techno Commercial Interactions - Impacts on trade, price setting mechanisms
- Cost Curves – Workshop exercise in which participants explore global competitive drivers for soda ash and their shifts over time
Who Should Attend: This one day event, presented by IHS consultants and analysts, is a favorite of the industry and has been attended by over 100 industry participants – customers, producers, logistics experts, regulators, industry associations, and others
Delegates will receive:
- Networking opportunities during: continental breakfast, lunch, and morning and afternoon breaks and evening reception.
- Course instruction and a color copy of the presentation in a workbook, which includes a glossary and appendix.
- Certificate of course completion (upon request).
Dr. Andrew Swanson, Independent Consultant, formerly with IHS Chemical (retired). Strategic consultant to global chemical and soda ash clients. Formerly General Manager of a soda ash business.
Ryan Monis, Consultant, IHS Chemical. Focus on primary research in specialty chemicals, to market and price analysis in commodity chemicals, or cost competitiveness and cash cost analysis.
Participants to the workshop are reminded that anti-competitive agreements, practices and behaviours are prohibited under EU laws and that it is the responsibility of each participant to ensure compliance with such anti-competition laws throughout the duration of the workshop.