LAPPC 2017: 7th Annual Latin American Petrochemicals and Polymers Conference
IHS Markit chemical and energy courses and workshops are designed to be of interest and value to both new and experienced professionals from the chemical and energy industries. Deepen your knowledge and understanding with one of our workshops.
Petrochemical Industry Fundamentals
November 10, 2017
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
While hot topic issues such as shale gas and tight oil in the US are of current interest and rightfully receive a lot of attention and press, it is imperative to have a good understanding of key industry fundamentals in order to appreciate how these hot topic issues impact profitability.
This workshop reviews key industry fundamentals starting with the foundation of the petrochemical industry – feedstocks, including natural gas, Natural Gas Liquids (NGLs), crude oil fractions, especially naphtha, coal and renewables. The feedstock session then leads into a thorough discussion of the industry building blocks – olefins (ethylene, propylene, butadiene) and aromatics (benzene, toluene, xylenes) businesses. Finally, the large volume thermoplastics including the polyethylenes (LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE), polypropylene, PVC, polystyrene and polyester/PET as well as C1-based chemicals synthesis gas (syngas), ammonia and methanol are covered. Within each of these topics key suppliers, demand profiles and pricing is discussed. Especially important for industry newcomers is that our instructors will clarify the technical jargon commonly used in the petrochemical industry.
Testimonials from Past Attendees:
- "Great explanation of the value chain (global) and supply/demand dynamics."
- "Overall a good beginner’s course."
- Raul Arias Alvarez, Director, Chemicals Consulting, IHS Markit
- Walt Hart, Vice President, NGL Research & Consulting, IHS Markit
- Todd Dina, Global Olefins Director - Propylene, IHS Markit
- Joel Morales, Senior Director, Polyolefins Americas, IHS Markit
- Hazel A.B. Kreuz, Global Director, Chlor-Alkali/Vinyls, Chemical Market Services, IHS Markit
- Peter Feng, Senior Director, Global BTX, Aromatics, IHS Markit
- Tison Keel, Director, PET, PTA & EO Derivatives, IHS Markit
- Introduction and Petrochemical Feedstocks
- Feedstocks: Natural gas, Natural Gas Liquids (NGLs), crude oil fractions, especially naphtha, coal and renewables
- Introduction to Petrochemical Building Blocks
- Aromatics: Benzene, toluene, xylenes
- Light Olefins: Ethylene, propylene, butadiene
- Heavy Olefins: Butadiene, Butylenes
- Exploring Petrochemical Value Chains
- Polyethylenes (LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE)
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Polystyrene (GPPS, HIPS, EPS)
- Synthesis gas (syngas) - Ammonia and methanol
- Global Markets: Market Drivers, Demand and Consumption Patterns, Outlook for Investment
What Delegates will receive:
- Admittance to evening “Welcome Reception”
- Networking opportunities including breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks
- Hard copy of workshop presentations
- Certificates of course completion upon request
Who is it for?
Anyone who wants an overview of the key elements and profitability drivers of the petrochemical industry, from industry newcomers to experienced workers needing a refresher course. The course is designed to be of interest to both technical and non-technical people including business analysts, purchasing agents, sales & marketing personnel, researchers, process engineers, bankers and finance professionals, lawyers, HR staff, as well as downstream processors and fabricators.
These workshops benefit both new and experienced professionals who want to deepen their knowledge and understanding across chemical and energy value chains or those who want to gain strategic viewpoints on end-markets, processes, and trends.