World Soda Ash Conference 2019
Don't miss the must-attend soda ash event of the year. Get your business updates, deep analysis and insight, meet old friends and make new ones at the IHS Markit World Soda Ash Conference taking place this year on the glamourous French Riviera.
The conference takes place on 25-26 September, and is preceded by the Soda Ash Workshop on the 24 September.
Soda Ash in the Age of Sustainability
The soda ash industry is on a roll as an intensifying focus on sustainability in the move towards a circular economy boosts demand and opens up new opportunities for soda ash. The industry is being influenced by a number diverse environmental factors:
- An environmentally driven move from plastics to container glass
- Increased demand for lithium carbonate driven by electric vehicles
- Greater use of flat glass in solar panels to harness natural energy
- Greater use of flat glass for double/triple glazing as a means of energy conservation
- Higher demand for sodium bicarbonate for flue gas desulfurization
- Fertilizer demand in China, including demand for urea, has been undermined by environmental initiatives. This has influenced a huge oversupply of urea in China which in turn has had negative implications for ammonium chloride, a co-product for Hou based soda ash producers.
- Malaysia is an important market for ammonium chloride exports, used primarily for palm oil production. With palm oil coming under increased environmental scrutiny could this have implications for ammonium chloride demand in the future?
- IMO 2020 regulations are expected to raise soda ash freight rates and distribution costs but may also lead to new demand for sodium bicarbonate
- Some European soda ash producers are introducing new energy sources to reduce CO2 emissions. At the same time the cost of carbon has increased sharply meaning an increased cost burden for the industry
Due to some of these trends soda ash demand growth has exceeded GDP growth, and as a consequence, much of the new 3 million mt per year capacity in Turkey has already been absorbed. With new capacity additions limited, the market, which is now balanced, could tighten quickly.
Amid these shifting dynamics, how will the soda ash market balance evolve? How will your business ensure supply security? Where do the new opportunities for the industry lie? The 2019 World Soda Ash Conference will gather top industry and IHS Markit experts to analyse and share insights into successfully navigating these changes.
IHS Markit Code of Conduct
IHS Markit is dedicated to providing events free from unwelcome, intimidating, offensive, improper, or illegal conduct. While we provide a framework that encourages this culture, we rely on all conference and event stakeholders to share this responsibility. As such, stakeholders are required to adhere to this Code of Conduct at our events, including on mobile applications and social media.
Download our Code of Conduct for Conferences.