Latin American LPG Seminar & Workshops 2019
Agenda subject to change
Tuesday, 12 November 2019
- 8:00 AMFull-Day Workshop: Fundamentals of LPG
This workshop will only be offered in English.
The course is designed for anyone requiring a thorough overview of the global markets and infrastructure for liquid petroleum gases. Course attendees have diverse backgrounds, but typical participants include business development managers for midstream companies, natural gas liquids traders and shippers, high-level managers assuming commercial responsibility for natural gas liquids, project managers for NGL infrastructure projects, business analysts for petrochemical, petroleum and natural gas companies, and new professionals entering the NGL industry.
Instructors: Walt Hart, Vice President, Global NGLs, IHS Markit
- 8:00 AMHalf-Day Workshop: Basics of Waterborne LPG Shipping
This workshop will only be offered in English.
US LPG exports are increasing, thus giving cause for additional LPG carriers, and changing the established trade routes. Meanwhile, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean output is also on the rise, causing a shift in the global trade balances. Market participants have an increasing need to understand the logistics and dynamics of the changes that are rapidly occurring. For example, Will there be a sufficient number of vessels? Will there be too many? Will terminal capacity become a hindrance to global trade? How will freight costs be affected?
Who is it for?
This course is designed for those with an interest in learning the basic principles and mechanics behind the overwater LPG shipping market. While the course is not intended to teach attendees how to trade LPG, it will cover overwater imports, exports and trade flows, including ship-tracking systems. Information critical to understand waterborne LPG shipping will be covered, including specification issues, industry-specific vernacular, industry participants and their respective roles and other components. The workshop will also cover basic LPG ship design, dimensions, characteristics and costs, freight factors, costs and drivers, as well as terminal development. As a bonus, the development of the overwater ethane trade will be covered, including the interface with the global LPG markets.
Instructors: Scott Gray, Senior Director, Waterborne, IHS Markit and Joanna Campos, Senior Analyst, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit
- 1:00 PMHalf-Day Workshop: NGL Price Drivers
This workshop will only be offered in Spanish.
With surplus Natural Gas Liquids (NGLs) in the US and global trade flows changing, there is intense interest in the impacts of these trends on NGL prices in the US and around the world. While not intended to teach how to trade NGLs, this course will discuss what factors influence NGL prices in global markets and why there are regional price differences. We will show how NGL prices compare with other energy and petrochemical prices, and how the various NGL prices differ among each other. We will discuss the importance of supply, demand and inventories, including the effects of seasonality as well as the extent to which the byproduct nature of NGLs and the various NGL end uses influence pricing. Some other topics include competition, substitution, freight and arbitrage and market sentiment.
Who is it for?
This course will benefit anyone who wants a better understanding of NGL price trends, such as business and financial analysts, traders, commercial managers, petrochemicals producers, LPG retailers and refiners.
Instructors: Adrian Calcaneo, Director Latin America & the Caribbean NGL Lead, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit and Joanna Campos, Senior Analyst, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit
Wednesday, 13 November 2019
- Session I: The Big PictureModerator: Dr. Walt Hart, Vice President NGLS, IHS Markit
- 8:40 AMPerspectives of the Energy Sector in Ecuador and its Impact on the LPG Market Honorable Carlos Perez, Minister of Hydrocarbons, Government of Ecuador
- 9:00 AMEconomic Outlook for Latin America and the World Rafael Amiel, Director, Economics, IHS Markit
- 9:20 AMVLGCs & the Impact on Latin America Speaker to be announced
- 9:40 AMOutlook for NGLs in Latin America Adrian Calcaneo, Director, Latin America & the Caribbean NGL Lead, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit
- 10:00 AMQ&A Moderator: Dr. Walt Hart, Vice President NGLS, IHS Markit
- 8:40 AMPerspectives of the Energy Sector in Ecuador and its Impact on the LPG Market
- Session II: Regional LPG Markets IModerator: Scott Gray, Senior Director, Waterborne, IHS Markit
- Session III: Emerging MarketsModerator: Xavier Rodríguez, Hydrocarbons trading and chartering Consultant for Ecuador
- 2:20 PMUruguay Speaker to be announced.
- 2:40 PMLPG for Power Generation in Latin America Gonzalo Granda, Managing Director, Wärtsilä
- 3:00 PMPeru Speaker to be announced.
- 3:20 PMBolivia Speaker to be announced.
- 3:40 PMQ&A Moderator: Xavier Rodríguez, Hydrocarbons trading and chartering Consultant for Ecuador
- 2:20 PMUruguay
- Session IV: LPG Supply TrendsModerator: Diane Miller, Product Management Director, OPIS, IHS Markit
- 4:20 PMTrends in Waterborne LPG Trade Moderator: Scott Gray, Senior Director, Waterborne, IHS Markit
- 4:40 PMSupplying LPG to Latin America from Prince Rupert British Colombia Speaker to be announced.
- 5:00 PMOutlook for LPG from Shales in Argentina Speaker to be announced.
- 5:20 PMUS LPG Production & Exports Jonathan Buchanan, NGL Marketing & Supply Manager, Enterprise Products
- 5:40 PMQ&A Moderator: Diane Miller, Product Management Director, OPIS, IHS Markit
- 4:20 PMTrends in Waterborne LPG Trade
Thursday, 14 November 2019
- Session V: Regional LPG Markets IIModerator: Joanna Campos, Senior Analyst, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit
- Session VI: Pricing and Panel DiscussionModerator: Adrian Calcaneo, Director, Latin America & the Caribbean NGL Lead, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit
- 10:40 AMNGL Pricing Trends Dr. Walt Hart, Vice President Global NGLS, IHS Markit
- 11:00 AMPanel Discussion: LPG Associations Working Together to Increase LPG Demand in Latin America
Moderator: Adrian Calcaneo, Director, Latin America & the Caribbean NGL Lead, Midstream Oil & NGL, IHS Markit
- Laura Acuna, Executive Director, ASOGAS
- German Leon, Director of Economic Affairs, GASNOVA
- Diego Ciufici, Executive Director, AIGLP
- Carlos Serrano, Executive President, AMEXGAS
- Michael Kelly, Deputy Managing Director, WLPGA
- 10:40 AMNGL Pricing Trends