Women's Empowerment Principles
IHS Markit is a signatory of the Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs) in a continued effort to actively participate in, and contribute to, advancing equality. The participation of IHS Markit in the WEP represents a significant and actionable step in support of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5, which seeks to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls. Read the full IHS Markit news release.
France Professional Equality Index
UK gender pay gap reports
Our 2019 UK gender pay gap report shows a median gender pay gap of 24.81% (decrease of 1.86 points since 2017) - highlighting the difference in pay of our female and male colleagues in the UK. In 2019 we made progress on key commitments to address our gender pay gap:
- Launched a new talent framework, the IHS Markit Way, that provides transparency to our people of what is expected of them, including the skills and behaviors, at every level within the firm. This framework adds objectivity into our promotion process
- Provided guidance on unconscious bias awareness to all promotion boards and carried out gender balance checks throughout the process to ensure objectivity and consistency
- Moved closer to our goal of having a female candidate for every job role interviewed through launching a number of initiatives to improve the diversity of our hiring pools and selections
- Launched our inclusion council which is responsible for driving, sponsoring and championing inclusion across IHS Markit. Achieving gender balance is a key focus for the group
- Rolled out our unconscious bias training across the organization
- Established long term gender goals and are in the process of operationalizing them at the business level
- Launched a parental leave support program designed to help both managers and employees throughout periods of parental leave, ensuring a positive experience for both
In addition to continuing our 2019 commitments, this year we will:
- Operationalize our gender diversity goals
- Build a development program specifically aimed at female career growth and retention
- Engage with our people through forums and surveys to better understand our female career dynamics
- Develop stronger flexible working programs
CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion
Lance Uggla, chairman and CEO, joined the CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion pledge on behalf of IHS Markit, committing to make our workplace a trusting places to have conversations about diversity and inclusion, share best—and unsuccessful—practices, and to implement and expand unconscious bias education to all colleagues.
Pride@IHSMarkit is a network of global groups open to all employees with the aim to create a culture and a company that that is welcoming and inclusive for LGBTQ/LGBT+ employees. Their remit, both internal and external, is to engage with partner networks, clients and our communities.
Example Pride initiatives since 2017:
- Launched a company-wide LGBT+ Ally program. An ally can be anyone who supports the LGBT+ community. We have over 300 allies in London alone
- Partnered with LGBT+ industry networks such as the Intertech LGBT+ Diversity Forum, Interbank LGBT Forum and the Interchange LGBT
- Regularly conduct global lunch and learn sessions for employees around LGBT+
- Scored 100% on the 2019 and 2020 Corporate Equality Index criteria based on our corporate practices with respect workforce protections, inclusive benefits, inclusive culture and responsible citizenship
- Stonewall Diversity Champion since 2019
IHS Markit is proud to participate in the HeForShe campaign to underline our commitment to gender diversity and equality in the workplace. In our pilot rollout, the London office came up with five key actions, unique to the office, that every employee can adopt and implement to improve gender equality.
Currently, we have full programs in London and Bangalore and emerging programs in Englewood, Coulsdon and New York. Our 2018 goal is to rollout the HeForShe campaign to our larger offices, engaging at least 50% of our employees in this campaign.
As a HeForShe ambassador, an employee commits to vocally and proactively uphold these pledges:
- Challenge unconscious gender bias
- Ensure all voices are heard in meetings
- Share office housework evenly
- Encourage all team members to realize their potential and develop equally
- Make work work for parents