Recruitment Privacy Notice
This privacy notice explains how and why we collect, store, use, and share personal data as part of a position application, recruitment process, or registration for job alerts via our careers webpage. Although IHS Markit aims for consistency in its recruitment activities, differences in the applicable law across the various jurisdictions where we operate may mean that this is not always possible. We will process your personal data in accordance with this privacy notice unless to do so would not be permitted under applicable local law.
Who we are
IHS Markit (collectively referred to in this document as “IHS Markit,” “us,” “we,” or “our”) comprises a number of different companies, including our subsidiaries and affiliates. When applying for a position with IHS Markit, you will be applying for a position with one member of the IHS Markit group, the details of which will be provided in the relevant position advertisement. Where applicable, this entity will act as the data controller for the purposes of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”) with respect to your application.
What personal data do we collect?
We will collect personal data from you, or from an employee of IHS Markit that has referred you, as part of a job application, or when you register for job alerts on our careers page. This may include:
- Personal details such as name, home address, telephone number, email address, and country of residence/citizenship;
- Professional details such as current job title, current salary, department, career data, details of your qualifications and academic background, your CV or resume, and other relevant experience or skills that you have;
- Details of third party references;
- Identity documents such as your passport, work permit, ID card, and/or drivers licence or other documentation we are required or permitted to collect by law to verify your immigration status and your right to work in the jurisdiction where you are applying for a position;
We may also collect the following types of personal data during further stages of the recruitment process and as part of any referencing process before making an offer of employment:
- Details of any adjustments that you may require to attend interviews (which may involve the collection of personal data defined as “special categories of personal data” under the GDPR, if this involves you providing us with information about your health to enable us to accommodate special requirements you have or adjustments you may need);
- Personal data defined as “special categories of personal data” may also be processed by us where required or permitted by applicable law in the jurisdiction where you have applied for a position, or where you have given us your explicit consent to do so (which can be withdrawn at any time). We may ask for information about your health and disabilities (e.g. to comply with statutory workplace or insurance obligations) or personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin (for diversity monitoring purposes for our recruitment activities);
- Personal data to enable us or a third-party provider engaged on our behalf to undertake appropriate background checks which may include conducting criminal background checks, where permitted or required by applicable law.
Collecting your personal data in relation to criminal history checks
As part of our recruitment process, we may ask for personal data from you to enable us to undertake criminal history checks, such as your name, address, date of birth and details of any criminal convictions you are aware of. This information will be shared with a third-party provider who conducts checks on our behalf, in accordance with our policy regarding the undertaking of criminal record checks.
We will only process personal data relating to criminal history and convictions where:
- The processing is authorized by applicable law, providing for the appropriate safeguards for your rights and freedoms as a prospective employee;
- You have been through our recruitment process and been made a conditional offer of employment with us that is subject only to relevant background checks where permitted.
How do we collect personal data?
We will collect personal data primarily from the information you provide to us as part of an application for employment with IHS Markit. We may also collect further personal data from you as part of the interview process, contacting references, and background or criminal record checks where required or permitted. This may also include being provided with your personal data from third parties as part of the referencing process. For example, by being provided with an employment reference from a former employer, or professional body, confirmation of your immigration status, or a criminal background check from the relevant authority in that jurisdiction.
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
We will process your personal data for our legitimate human resources and business management interests in relation to all aspects of the recruitment process, including:
- To send you information about open vacancies, when you have registered to receive job alerts from our careers page;
- To enable our talent acquisition team to contact you to facilitate our application and recruitment processes. For example, discussing your application further, inviting you to interviews, post-recruitment process follow up, and providing you with feedback;
- To assess your suitability for a position you have applied for, based on the information you have provided us as part of your initial application, during interviews and, or from any further assessments you have undertaken as part of the recruitment process;
- To take further steps to enter into an employment contract with you (for example, where you have been successful in a recruitment process and we are extending an offer of employment to you);
- To enable us to verify your right to work in the jurisdiction of the position for which you have applied;
- To meet our obligations with respect to any health and safety requirements, security obligations, or under equality, diversity and discrimination legislation in the relevant jurisdiction where you are applying for a position, including when you might visit our premises for interviews or assessments and require accommodation;
- To enable us to undertake reference, background checks or criminal records checks when required or permitted by applicable law, as part of the final steps of your application
Basis for processing your personal data
As part of our recruitment processes, we will only process your personal data where:
- We have requested and been given your explicit consent to the processing of your personal data (your consent can be withdrawn at any time by contacting us on the details provided below);
- The processing is necessary pursuant to a contract with you (for example, where you have accepted an offer of employment and we need to take steps in accordance with the agreement that require processing of your personal data);
- The processing is necessary for compliance with our legal or regulatory obligations; and/or
- The processing is necessary for our legitimate interests or the interests of any third-party recipient who receives your personal data.
How do we protect your personal data?
We adhere to applicable data privacy laws and take reasonable steps to protect the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of the collected personal information against unauthorised access, disclosure, or loss. We also maintain physical and electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal data from unauthorised access or intrusion.
Who do we share your personal data with?
Within IHS Markit, we will disclose your personal data only to colleagues who have a business need to know, such as managers, colleagues, or our service providers who may be involved in the recruitment and on-boarding process. We may also transfer your personal data to service providers who assist as part of our recruitment process (such as assessment providers or on-boarding service providers). IHS Markit has agreements in place with these service providers to ensure compliance with relevant data protection legislation in the applicable jurisdiction.
Where the GDPR applies, you should also be aware that your personal data may be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). In these circumstances, IHS Markit has or will have entered into a Data Processing Agreement containing the Standard Contractual Clauses published by the European Union (EU) to facilitate the transfer of personal data from the EU and EEA, to countries outside the EU and EEA (including the U.S.).
We may also share your personal data with professional advisors, regulatory, public, or governmental bodies when required to do so by applicable law, or as permitted by law for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims. Finally, we may share your data with a prospective buyer if we are ever considering selling any part of our business or assets and recruitment data or systems is a relevant asset within the business, or part of the business that is sold.
There may be other circumstances where we disclose your personal data when you have given us your consent to do so (which you can withdraw at any time by contacting us on the details below).
Your data protection rights
You have the right to:
- Correct any errors in the personal data we hold about you;
- Request information regarding what personal data about you has been processed by us, how the data was collected, and for what purpose(s);
- Request a copy of the personal data we hold about you;
- Request that your personal data be deleted if there is no legal basis for the processing of such data, or if the legal basis has ceased to apply. IHS Markit will comply with any such request provided that it is consistent with our data retention obligations;
- Restrict or object to your personal data being processed, to the extent that such request does not conflict with a legal requirement or obligation to process your personal data, or an overriding legitimate interest we have to process your personal data.
For any such requests concerning your personal data, please complete the form found on our Privacy Request Page
In certain circumstances, not providing us with your personal data may impact on our ability to consider or process an application for employment with us. We will always inform you when this is the case. We do not use automated processing technologies as part of our recruitment process.
Storage of personal data
Your personal data will be deleted when it is no longer reasonably required for a permitted purpose or where you have withdrawn consent to process your personal data. In certain circumstances, your personal data may be retained by us for a longer period, for example, if you have specifically asked us to retain your details for the purposes of being considered for any upcoming vacancies.
Contact Information and Complaints
If you have any complaints or questions regarding this Recruitment Privacy Notice or the processing of personal data by us generally, you should first contact us using the form found on our Privacy Request Page. If you are a citizen of the European Union and you have a concern regarding your personal data that you believe we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact your local data protection authority.
You can also contact IHS Markit’s Chief Privacy Officer in writing at the following address:
321 Inverness Drive South
Englewood, CO 80112
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
Privacy Request Page
This Recruitment Privacy Notice for prospective job applicants was last updated in January 2019. We reserve the right to update and change this notice from time to time to reflect changes in the way in which we collect, store and process your personal data or changing legal requirements. We recommend that you review this notice regularly to keep up to date with any such changes.