- What is Engineering Workbench?
Designed by technical professionals for technical professionals, IHS Engineering Workbench™ is the next-generation IHS Markit solution that provides knowledge workers with unified access to internal and external technical reference content (e.g., standards, eBooks, journals and more) paired with analytical capabilities and problem-solving tools tailored to their research needs and workflows. It is the eventual replacement for IHS Standards Expert.
Subscribers to IHS Knowledge Collections (eBook collections) have been using Engineering Workbench since November 2015. With the 1.4 release in January 2017, Engineering Workbench provides equivalent functionality to Standards Expert – meaning that everything users can do in Standards Expert, they can now do in Engineering Workbench.
In addition, Engineering Workbench offers a variety of new capabilities that make it easier for engineers and others to find, use and manage standards to get their jobs done.
- What is the Engineering Workbench Early Visibility Program?
The Early Visibility Program, kicking off in January-February 2017, allows Standards Expert users to access Engineering Workbench to become familiar with the new solution's functionality and features prior to the start of the "transition program" that will see users begin to move from Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench. The transition program entails a multi-month process beginning in the April-May 2017 timeframe, upon the release of Engineering Workbench 2.0, and is anticipated to conclude in the second half of 2017.
- Is "Early Visibility" another way of saying "Beta" program?
No. Engineering Workbench 1.4 is fully developed and ready for users, supporting all of the typical activities currently performed in Standards Expert and providing many new capabilities. While IHS Markit welcomes (and encourages) customer feedback on Engineering Workbench, users can expect version 1.4 to fully meet their daily requirements for finding, using and managing standards and other content.
- What is the benefit of starting to use Engineering Workbench in the Early Visibility Program?
By starting to work with Engineering Workbench through the Early Visibility Program, Standards Expert users will be able to:
- Familiarize themselves with the features and capabilities in Engineering Workbench well in advance of their eventual transition to the new solution.
- Identify areas of functionality that might require assistance in adopting Engineering Workbench and work with IHS Markit Customer Care to set up training sessions
- Take advantage of the solution’s enhanced search, personalization, collaboration, and project management capabilities and begin to enjoy increased productivity
- Provide early feedback to IHS Markit on areas for enhancement within the new solution
- Is there a cost associated with using Engineering Workbench in the Early Visibility Program?
No. For the Early Visibility Program, Standards Expert customers will have parallel access to both Standards Expert and Engineering Workbench at no additional cost.
- What will happen/What will I see on the first day of the Early Visibility Program?
It depends on how you access IHS Standards Expert.
Option 1. If you use a "blind login" link from your corporate intranet or other site to log directly into Standards Expert, upon clicking to log in, you will be directed to an "interim page" similar to the below image.
From this page, you can click the link to go into Engineering Workbench, or you can opt to proceed into Standards Expert. By clicking on "Opt out for 3 days," you will not see this interim page again for 3 days, and you will go directly into Standards Expert in that timeframe. Thereafter, you will again be presented with the opportunity to go into Engineering Workbench.
Option 2. If you log into the IHS Engineering Resource Center (ERC), and then click on a link to log into Standards Expert, on the first day of Early Visibility, you will find a link to Engineering Workbench on the ERC menu, directly above the Standards Expert link:
Click the link to go directly into Engineering Workbench, or you can opt to proceed into Standards Expert. If you proceed into Standards Expert, you will see the same interim page as mentioned above for Option 1 and can choose to proceed to Engineering Workbench or Standards Expert. By clicking on "Opt out for 3 days," you will not see this interim page again for 3 days, and you will go directly into Standards Expert in that timeframe. Thereafter, you will again be presented with the opportunity to go into Engineering Workbench.
Note: From within Engineering Workbench, you can get back to Standards Expert by using the link back to the IHS Menu under your user name displayed in the upper right-hand corner of the Engineering Workbench screen, and then clicking through to Standards Expert from the ERC menu.
From within Standards Expert, you can get to Engineering Workbench by using the IHS menu link in the upper right-hand corner of the Standards Expert screen, and then clicking through to Engineering Workbench from the ERC menu.
- Will I be able to do everything in Engineering Workbench that I can do in Standards Expert?
Engineering Workbench 1.4 will provide all of the same standards management capabilities as Standards Expert, and in nearly all cases, users will be able to do everything in Engineering Workbench that they currently do in Standards Expert. Note:
- An individual user's Favorites, Alerts, Watch Lists currently in Standards Expert will not be rolled over into Engineering Workbench 1.4. Similar personalization features are available in Engineering Workbench and can be replicated in the new solution. In addition, all of these individual preferences WILL be carried over into Engineering Workbench as part of the "Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench" transition to take place later in 2017.
- A limited number of "add-on" capabilities to Standards Expert – such as Reference Linking, My Publications, and 3D models – will appear in subsequent releases throughout 2017
- AV-Data functionality, content and filters are scheduled to be available in Engineering Workbench in the second half of 2017. In the meantime, please continue to use Standards Expert with AV-Data to access this functionality and content.
- Language options: The Engineering Workbench interface (controls, labels, buttons, etc.) is available in Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish. Localization for Italian, Korean and Portuguese languages is scheduled to be available in the second half of 2017.
- How will Watch Lists in Standards Expert and Engineering Workbench be handled during Early Visibility?
We will not transfer Watch Lists over from Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench during the Early Visibility phase, but users are able to create Watch Lists in Engineering Workbench during Early Visibility. We will migrate your personal settings from Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench during your final account switchover in the second half of 2017. Following your organization's final switchover to Engineering Workbench, Watch Lists and other personal settings that you create in Engineering Workbench during Early Visibility remain and continue to be available, plus you also will have access to the personal settings (including Watch Lists) that you previously set up in Standards Expert. NOTE: At the time of the final switchover, only Watch Lists in Standards Expert that have been active within the last three years will be transitioned to Engineering Workbench. In addition, only Watch Lists containing documents (not empty lists) will be migrated to Engineering Workbench.
- Why is IHS Markit transitioning from Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench?
- Standards Expert has been in the market for more than 10 years. It is a robust, tested solution used more than 30,000 times a day by engineers around the world. However, while IHS Markit has updated Standards Expert regularly and added many new capabilities over the years, the technology at the heart of Standards Expert has not kept up with the modern requirements of an advanced web-based solution.
- IHS Markit has invested in the development of the Engineering Workbench solution to ensure that we can continue to provide our customers with the most advanced capabilities for finding, using and managing standards and other technical references. Built to modern standards using the latest Cloud technology, Engineering Workbench also incorporates proprietary IHS Markit search technology that allows engineers to more quickly and precisely find the information they need to support their daily workflows.
- By moving to Engineering Workbench, IHS Markit will enable our user community to work better, make decisions faster, and deliver better value to their organizations
- When will the transition from Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench take place?
- The formal transition process from Standards Expert to Engineering Workbench will begin in April 2017 (our current plan, which is subject to revision) with the release of Version 2.0, and will continue through the second half of 2017. Throughout the transition process, customers will continue to have access to both platforms. Much more information on this transition will be provided as we approach the launch of Engineering Workbench 2.0.
- Where can I go for help or more information?
- IHS Markit Customer Care
Monday 12:00 am (UTC) to Saturday 12:00 am (UTC)
(Sunday 8:00 pm ET to Friday 8:00 pm ET)
Toll Free: +1 800 447 2273
Outside US/Canada: +1 303 858 6187
- Europe, Middle East, Africa
+44 1344 328 300
- Asia Pacific
+604 291 3600
- Global Email: Contact form to Customer Care
- Chat: Customer Care